TinkerOn is an online lab where we tinker with many problems, ideas and products. It started out as a blog for Tinker, a product lab that developed and took to market 3 digital consumer products BookEazy for movie tickets, Lipikaar.com – a software that made it easy to type in Hindi and Indian languages with a QWERTY keyboard and Dubzer a community for the collaborative hand-translation of digital content into many languages. Tinker was founded by Anjali Gupta, Santosh Dawara, and Neha Gupta.
Problem Area: 75% of online users don’t speak English yet a vast majority of websites and applications communicate in English. We believe social translation can can transform language translation into an economical, effective, hyper-connected activity.
- Dubzer was the only product selected from India to present at DEMO Fall’09, San Diego. http://bit.ly/dubzer.
- Dubzer was featured by VentureBeat, BusinessWeek, CNBC, CNET Japan, and by SUN Startups.
- The Dubzer product line includes a crowd-sourced cloud platform for translation, a localization platform, a Mozilla Firefox addon called MyTranslationShoes for online users, a translation dashboards for enabling social rewards, and social translation solutions.
Lipikaar (www.lipikaar.com) 2007 to 2011.
Problem Area: Millions of Indians are comfortable reading and writing in their local language. Although some have a familiarity with English they do not think in English when writing their mother tongue. Transliteration focuses on the English-thinking population which is a tiny fraction. We believe that all literate people should be able to use technology especially web, mobile and PC based applications in their mother tongue.
Lipikaar is a patented typing solution for the average non-English speaking person to make it easy to type and use all Web/PC-based applications in 18 Indian languages. Lipikaar.com spun off in 2011 to become an independent entity led by Neha.
- Over 1 Lakh+ people actively used Lipikaar
- Awarded the 2008 Manthan Award, South Asia for mass appeal and simplicity.
- Featured by Times of India, DNA, Entrepreneur, and CNBC TV18.
- Hindi TV program guides for Airtel, Tata Sky, Reliance and others are typed with Lipikaar.
- The Lipikaar product line includes products for PC Desktops, MS Office, Firefox, IE, Blogging platforms, Facebook Application, Live Editing, Universal Website Plugin, and other customized Language solutions.
BookEazy is a unique consumer service around movie tickets with pay-on-arrival model, with over 16,000 subscribers. The service achieved Rs.1 crore worth of movie ticket sales in its first year of operation.